1-Day Mount Hydrangea Walking &
Mud Dyeing Workshop Tour
Best season: mid-June ~ early July
This area, which is called Nishitama, is a neighborhood located to the west of the metropolitan area in Tokyo. There are mountains, rivers, good old Japanese culture and sound of nature instead of crowds, skyscrapers and bustle of a city. It's a part of a national park.
In such surroundings, people and nature coexist in harmony.
1. Mount Hydrangea
10,000 of the flowers at Mount Minamisawa Hydrangea has been planted and cared by Mr. Minamisawa for over a half century. A variety of colorful flower heads can be seen in the mountain during the season.
2. Local Specialties Restaurant Konoka
Enjoy seasonal local vegetables in the wooden modern-style restaurant made of local timber.
The beautiful dish up is like art work. Please don't hesitate to eat the masterpieces.
*We will visit other restaurants when this restaurant is not available.
3. 12m tall statue of Buddha (Daibutsu)
The second tallest Great Buddha in Japan, following the Great Buddha of Nara, has been unveiled at the Houkouji Temple in 2018. Even Japanese people rarely see a huge brand-new bronze statue.
4. Experience Dyeing with Mud
It is called Kuro-hachijo which is a silk textile dyed with iron-rich mud and seeds of yashabushi (species of alder trees). This woven silk products was popular from the late Edo Period through the Meiji Period, but the popularity has decreased over time because of its time-consuming process and productivity.
There is now only one artisan who has the technique and he will be the teacher of this workshop.
- English-speaking guide
- Transportation during the tour (Train & chartered taxi)
- Admission fees
- Travel Insurance
Departure Point & Time
- JR Shinjuku Station
East Exit next to KOBAN (Police Box) at 9:20am
⇒Check the meeting point on a map
*We will go to the local station by train.
Return Point & Time
- JR Shinjuku Station at 18:00pm(approx.)
*We will come back to the JR Shinjuku station by train.
- If you cancel at least 14 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 8 and 13 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure,
there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 7 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
- If you have any allergies or dietary restrictions, please let us know when you book.
- Please note that the tour itinerary and order may change.
- Due to weather conditions, natural disasters or any other special conditions, we could cancel tours.
When we cancel the tour, we will refund all the tour cost you paid.
- JPY ¥ 45,000 (4 or more travelers)
- JPY ¥ 57,000 (3 travelers)
- JPY ¥ 76,000 (2 travelers)
Tour Code : S1050